Mission Techies Spring 2016 Class

Mission Techies Spring 2016 Class
Spring 2016 @ Doubledutch

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Week 3 @ Mission Techies

We did a whole lot in Week 3 at Mission Techies.

We took apart a PC and then we took apart a laptop. Initially I expected the laptop to be easier because it is more compact, but that was not the case. The screws are so small and if the person before you who worked on the laptop damaged the screw so it is stuck you are "screwed". Well..it can be fixed but it is a pain in the butt.

Anyway,

Taking apart the PC was my FAVORITE. I need to get better at laptops because that is what is in demand right now, laptop repair. I really liked holding the CPU, it was like holding a little computer brain in my hand. All of those capabilities and possibilities, so small and compact. It's amazing. Checking out the RAM was cool too, those are a couple of my favorite components to examine. Hard drive is fun too but I think it is so fascinating that items so small can be capable of so much.

I had some difficulty with the laptop which was embarrassing but I got it done (I will never give up on technology). The person who had the laptop before me damaged the top part of some screws so it took me a while to take them out, my tools did not want to fit. The screws were scuffed which was a bummer, I'd like to work with a laptop that does not have those problems to see how good I really can be at this.

I took a laptop home with me this weekend to work on. Someone did not put the screws in right so the laptop could fold properly, they just latched the top part on to make it look like it was repaired. I was pretty upset because the screw was inserted the wrong way and damaged which resulted in it being stuck, I couldn't fix the person's error. I tried for hours to get that one screw out so I could properly fix their mistake but alas, it did not want to budge. Can I please get a laptop that someone hasn't secretly had a mishap with? -__-

We also set up a LAN network. Haha I was stoked when I found that out, I used to have LAN parties and play video games with friends that way. I used to hook up my internet network at home all the time so this wasn't difficult, but it did make me curious as to how other networks are set up. Like..a LAN is nothing compared to a MAN or CAN. Those are HUGE. So it's a small accomplishment, but it fueled my curiosity as to what the other networks are like to set up.

I think I want to study computer networks. I'm discovering things that make me eager to learn more beyond our lessons to the point where I find myself researching hardware when in bed. Or thinking about disassembling pieces of a computer and where everything goes. I just can't stop thinking about technology now, and to be honest I don't know how I went so long without realizing this is my passion.

I decided I want to go to school for computer science, I want to learn about all of this again and more in depth. I want to get better and continue to grow in the technology field. I know that I'm new, but I feel like if I really apply myself and study hard I can be a great techie.

I also met my mentor last week, she is awesome! I am lucky to be paired with someone who thinks so much like me. It was like meeting a long lost friend. She also showed me some of her coding, I hope one day I can understand what it means lol.

Things are going well, I'm just a little nervous for November when we handle other people's computers. I have anxiety so I worry about everything all the time, but I'm trying to have some faith in myself. I did really well with the PC's, I just need to keep practicing laptop repair but I know I can do this!

I want to help people and by offering knowledge and helping them with their computers is a way I can contribute to this world that is fine by me. I think this is an amazing way to give back, repairing computers for low income families. My family is low income and we had so many technology issues, it was sad when we couldn't afford to get anything fixed. I'm so glad Mission Techies helps families like mine.

Oh by the way I have a job interview at BEST BUY and Mission Techie Academy really made me stand out. So did my resume thanks to Olivia (I need to tell her that resume action verbs really helped me).

Until next time,

Ram - Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment