Mission Techies Spring 2016 Class

Mission Techies Spring 2016 Class
Spring 2016 @ Doubledutch

Monday, October 5, 2015

Week 2 @ Mission Techies

My second week at Mission Techies was amazing. We studied parts of hardware to prepare us for taking apart computers and putting them back together (which we did in week 3 but I'm not blogging about that week, though I'm pumped up from that activity).

We also did inventory which I really enjoyed. I'm starting to notice that I enjoy attention to detail, I overanalyze usually so this is perfect for my fast paced brain! You can't really overanalyze putting together a computer, if anything it helps you remember where each screw goes and where the power supply cords go. Wow, I'm already referring to hardware parts.

Honestly, I was nervous when I first started. I've never really been good at much, most likely because I haven't honestly tried to learn anything that wasn't natural talent. However, I'm starting to get the hang of this, my confidence is going up and I'm showing myself that I have what it takes to become a techie. I just need to continue to apply myself and study.

Reading about hardware is so different than reaching inside a computer and feeling all the parts. It's hard not to write about the activity we just did because I'm so excited about it, but it's in Week 3 so I can't blog about that yet D:

Inventory was interesting because it is so detail oriented, but it was so detailed that my mind could comprehend the complexity of everything. Sometimes things are too simple for me that I disect it in my mind and make it harder than it needs to be, but this was just right.

We went to Google! It was INCREDIBLE. I want to work there so bad! They really celebrate diversity and give students a chance to prove themselves. Ernesto on the Google panel was telling new coders to come up and talk to him. One day I could be up there talking to him! I hope Leo brings us back there like he did with the other Mission Techies from the previous generations. I want a chance at Google so bad, I know so many others do but I would do anything to get a position with them. Even if I had to stay up for days studying hardware and Google interview questions (I hear they're rather abstract and difficult).

Lunch at Google was one of the best parts. My fellow techies and I took home a few burritos, yes a few. I have no regrets.

I really like spending time with my techie group, we're like a nerdy family.

I also met Ana from Mission Techies, she was one of the first generational techies (maybe even the first?). Her video inspired me when Leo came to introduce the program at Job Corps and I freaked out when we were talking and I realized it was her. I really hope to stay in touch with her, maybe all us techies can have a get together with Leo.

Leo is awesome. He pushes me which motivates me and keeps me on my game.

I'm so grateful for this opportunity. Going to Google, learning about the tech world and hearing about all these opportunities that may await when I am finished with this program is crazy!

My life is going to be so much better thanks to this program.

Thank you Mission Techies for bringing hope to my future.

Alicia


No comments:

Post a Comment