Mission Techies Spring 2016 Class

Mission Techies Spring 2016 Class
Spring 2016 @ Doubledutch

Thursday, August 13, 2015

week six blog

This summer I was an intern for the mission techies program at MEDA SF, it was a great experience that I would recommend to all my friends and family. As a biology major I came to learn about programing more than anything else, I felt as if it was an important part of information technology that anyone who is trying to be competitive in today’s job market should learn. When I came on the day of orientation I learned that while programing was included in the program there was a lot more that went into it, everything from job training, to wireless networking and even financial capability it was pretty overwhelming at first.
Coming in on the first day I was amazed to see so little people, I expected there to be at least 20 young people trying to take advantage of such an amazing free program that is offered right in their back yard. I found that the people here where almost exactly like me, trying to take advantage of the opportunities around them to learn about technology and earn a 500 dollar stipend. These are my new friends; I really looked forward to coming to the program every day just to see them.
The environment was very unique, I felt as if I was in a business setting where we worked hard to reach our goals for the day weather it was getting a lecture from one of the many guest speakers or listening to Leo talk lecture about hardware. But at the same time I felt as if I was free to be myself and express my personal opinions not only to my peers but to the staff around me as well whether it was Leo, Olivia or Mark.
My favorite part of the program was definitely working hands on with the computers. Whether it was in the hardware demonstrations or when we were doing technical support for low income families. It felt as if we were making a real difference that we could see, I found myself very motivated to fix any problems I could find to the best of my ability and when I couldn’t I knew I could ask someone around me for help. Taking apart the computers and putting them back together helped me conceptualize how they worked and made me much more interested in the information technology field.
Before coming to the program I felt as if I wanted to go into the medical field, specifically working for the public health sector with people around the world to fight the unhealthiness of America. But after learning so much about technology I found that my real passion lies in the biotechnology field integrating two things I know most about biology and technology. Throughout this program I learned a lot about myself I found myself thinking differently because of programing and looking at the technology in everyday life and not taking it for granted because someone somewhere worked hard to put it together and make it work.
-WolfRamBeta


No comments:

Post a Comment