Mission Techies Spring 2016 Class

Mission Techies Spring 2016 Class
Spring 2016 @ Doubledutch

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Week 6

Over that past 6 weeks at the Summer 2015 Mission Techies Program at MEDA, Mission Economic Development Agency, I was able to gain a greater understanding of technology. Before the Mission Techies Program, I didn’t have that much experience in technology. I became interested in becoming a Mission Techie Intern because I wanted to improve my skills and strengthen my knowledge. I was introduced to different variety of technical fields, such as hardware, software, networking, coding, and tech support. In hardware, I learned how to take Macs, PCs, and Towers apart from the surface to the motherboard while identifying the components and then putting it all back together. In Coding, I learned something new every day. Sometimes its challenging, but I eventually begin to understand how to write the code. Tech support was the area of interest I wanted to continue my career on because I enjoyed providing assistance and helping clients by fixing their technical devices. Aside from technology, Mission Techies Program prepared and helped me with my resume, cover letter, and references in Job Readiness Training class. Also, this class helped me to create a LinkedIn, which allowed me to connect with my peers and expand my network.
During the Mission Techies Program, I went on two field trips. The first was the Year-Up program, which is a one-year, intensive training program that provides low-income young adults, ages 18-24, with a combination of hands-on skill development, college credits, and corporate internships. The second was DoubleDutch, which is a tech company that builds mobile apps to produce high quality events. I enjoyed getting a tour from both places and learning about the importance of the program and company. For instance, in Year-Up the Outreach Coordinator, Sotheara Yem, presented and showed videos about Year-Up alumni and alumnae telling their experience in the program. At the same time, there were a few videos that I was able to relate.

Overall, I am proud to say that the Mission Techies Program is supportive towards those who have interests and passion in technology, which they will guide you to achieving your career goals. Thank you Mission Techies for helping me become a better and well-prepared person. The skills I’ve learned will remain with me as I will continue to pursue in the tech support.
-CTechMartin

No comments:

Post a Comment