Mission Techies Spring 2016 Class

Mission Techies Spring 2016 Class
Spring 2016 @ Doubledutch

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Week 6

Spending my summer as a Mission Techie was a really good experience. I came into the program having minimal knowledge about hardware, software, and coding. All I knew was that I was interested in computers and technology and I wanted to learn more about them. In hardware, we started off learning a little about each component. Leo gave us a PowerPoint presentation on the parts of a computer, like the hard drive, motherboard, CMOS battery, RAM, etc. The presentation got me really excited to start taking apart PCs because I was really curious about how everything fit together in an actual computer. One thing that I wish was done differently was to have each individual part shown in front of us while they were being introduced during the PowerPoint presentation. That way, things become more tangible and therefore more applicable when we finally start taking apart the PCs on our own. Other than that, I liked how the hands-on projects were very flexible and Leo let us explore and experiment with the parts by ourselves. 

One of the guest speakers that stood out to me was Luis, the engineer from Google/Youtube. He knew he loved math and was good at it so all throughout college, that’s the only thing he focused on. Even though he was scared to get a job, he still found one because he was so passionate about it. I can really relate to that because I love math too, and hopefully my passions and abilities will help me find a good job in the future. 

One of my highlights from tech support was fixing a Dell PC that wasn’t turning on. We diagnosed the problem and figured out that the computer needed a new RAM. After replacing the RAM, it turned on. Fixing a computer for the first time made me feel very accomplished. In the beginning, it can be really confusing and make you doubt yourself. However, after discovering what the problem is, you realize that the solution is not as complicated as you think it is. 

I really liked the Doubledutch site visit. It was very interesting to visit a successful mid-size company that is expanding. Even though the workspace was very cramped because of limited space, it seemed like everyone was still working efficiently. There was a balcony that was designed so that people had an option to either work indoors or outdoors. It seemed like even with limited amount of space and funding, the workers were still being taken care of. When I come out of college, I would want to work in an environment like Doubledutch’s. During the panel, I was very fascinated to learn that the people that work there did not start off with a background in technology or engineering. It made me realize how flexible you have to be when you’re looking for a career in technology which opens up a lot of opportunities.

Overall, my experience as a Mission Techie made me more confident about entering into the technology industry. I learned a lot about the technical aspects of technology which made me more knowledgeable about computers. On the other hand, I also learned a lot about technology as an industry and career path, and the Mission Techies program really enforced my passion for computers and technology.
-JanRAM

No comments:

Post a Comment